top of page

Newport Pagnell Town win to confirm Quarter Final Tie which see's them just two wins from Wembley!

Newport Pagnell Town FC won their 5th round tie against Buckland Athletic in thrilling style to confirm a place in the quarter final. Below is the match report and confirmation on the quarter final match.

There was a festival atmosphere around Willen Road for the 5th Round FA Vase tie against Buckland Athletic. Although the sun was shining there was a deceptively strong, chilling wind that was blowing across the pitch.

The two teams were well matched from the start, although they were also a few errors, understandable for such a big occasion. With twenty minutes on the clock Adam Pryke brilliantly blocked a good shot from Charlie Johansen to keep the scores level. Just past the half hour mark Ben Shepherd rifled a shot narrowly over the crossbar. Five minutes later Danny Webb made progress down the right, his ball into the box was met by Ben Ford who hit a great shot that was deflected wide missing the post by inches.

The play continued to be fairly even in the second half until disaster struck for the Swans in the sixty sixth minute. Conway rushed out of his goal to clear but the ball fell to the feet of Owen Stockton who lifted it back over the stranded keeper.

Conway could only watch on as the ball agonisingly crept over the line from 45 yards out for the opening goal of the match. The large Newport crowd thought their side had the equaliser with twenty minutes remaining, only to realise Jim Burnside’s shot had rippled the side netting. With just eight minutes to play Josh Webber had a cracking shot that was heading for the top corner before Conway pulled off a wonderfully spectacular finger tip save to keep the Swans in the tie.

Newport’s never die attitude saw them push their opponents hard for an equaliser, they had to wait until the fourth minute of stoppage time before the pressure eventually told when Alfie Powell popped up from a corner to smash the ball into the net to level the scores, sparking wild celebrations from the home fans.

The game went straight to penalties with both teams scoring three of their regulation five spot kicks to send the shootout into sudden death. Ford was the sixth man to step up for the Swans, his confident strike almost broke the net leaving Ryan Bush with the unenviable task of trying to keep Buckland in the hunt. Once again it was Conway, who had scored the Swan’s third penalty before saving Buckland’s fifth, who wrote his name in FA Vase folklore by saving Bush’s spot kick to set up a Quarter Final clash for the Swans away to Whitchurch Alport.

If you would like to travel to Whitchurch to support the Swans then a coach is available.

Supporters Coach travel info for our FA Vase game away to Whitchurch!

Saturday 12th March 2022 - KO 3pm.

Ticket price £10 – all categories.

Special offer: Kids for a quid! Under 16s travel for £1 when accompanied by a full paying adult (up to 3 children per adult)

Coach will leave Willen Road at 10:30am.

Get your coach tickets by clicking here

*Please note Entrance to the ground is not included and will have to be purchased separately at the game…. More info to be posted soon on this.

bottom of page