Bletchley NHPT are raising awareness to help prevent incidents of distraction burglaries/rogue traders in the local area.
As we come out of lockdown TVP have seen an increase in these incidents. These include reports of workmen attending the addresses of the victims offering to carry out repairs to their property.
Victims have then found that jewellery, cash and other items have been stolen. In some cases large sums of money have been handed over with no work being completed or attempted.
TVP are investigating these incidents, but would like to advise our residents:
• Don’t agree to any work or sign anything on the spot
• Discuss any work you feel needs carrying out on your property with a relative or friend who can help you find a reputable trader
• Don’t ever go to the bank or cashpoint with a trader; legitimate traders will never do this
• Don’t allow anyone to pressure you in to agreeing to have work carried out. If you ask them to leave and they don’t; call police on 999
• Contact Trading Standards for more advice and information about rogue traders on 0808 223 1133
You can contact the following, when looking for reputable contractors/handypersons:
Age UK Milton Keynes Handy persons Services - 01908 550 700
Buy With Confidence (list of traders pre- approved by Trading Standard) – 0808 223 1133